Building a computer for FreeBSD

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Aug 21 13:04:06 UTC 2012

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012, Erich Dollansky wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 22:43:35 -0400
> Tyler Campbell <tyler at tristatesafeandlock.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there a list of parts for building a personal computer or do you
>> just read through the hardware list?
>
> if you use big names like Asus, nothing should go wrong.
>
> I would avoid Intel's integrated graphics. As the support for it is not
> as advanced as for other graphic solutions, this could give you the
> wrong impression.

Huh?  On FreeBSD, Intel video is the only one that supports KMS, the
latest thing in xorg.  Of course the Intel video is not the fastest, but
that's due to the hardware.

AMD/ATI Radeon HDs up to the 4000-series support acceleration with
FreeBSD's version of xorg.  4650 and 4850 cards are suggested.  The
NVidia cards are also used by many, and reportedly their binary-only
driver offers higher performance than other options.