Issue with kernel building

Jamie Paul Griffin jamie at kode5.net
Mon Aug 20 13:13:54 UTC 2012

== Michael Powell wrote on Sun 19.Aug'12 at 19:43:14 -0400 ==

> Keep in mind whenever you install a new kernel your present kernel (and its
> matching modules) get moved to kernel.old. What this means is that the
> GENERIC you have with a base install will be moved to kernel.old and can be
> used in the event the new kernel won't boot. Realize this: after the next
> rebuild process this kernel.old will be replaced _again_. In which case  you
> might now have 2 broken kernels with not an easy way to recover.

Very good point! I'd clear the /usr/src/obj directory as pointed out, then build a generic kenel, install it and boot from it. Then you know you've got a working kernel to fall back on. At that point rebuild your custom kernel with correct commands as pointed out in the previous response by Michael; i.e. `make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL` ... etc.