I Can Has Packages?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Mon Aug 20 00:59:33 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 11:27:54PM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> [...]
> assume the screen has 24 or 25 lines). It's an easy task
> to calculate for a package with n options, each can be
> set or not set, how many packages would have to be built
> and served. :-)
>
> I just assume providing packages for every imaginable
> combination requires lots of resources. As an example
> take OpenOffice: Every language variant, then integration
> with KDE, Gnome, or none of them, and printing support
> (I think). That would be many hours of compiling, and
> lots of storage space needed (note: current _and_ older
> packages are needed, plus supported architectures).
>

> > > There are also ports that draw a massive slew of dependencies.
> > > Some of them are of minor importance, like documentation that
> > > urges you to install LaTeX. If that's the default the package
> > > has been created from, installing it will bring teTeX to your
> > > system too, even if _you_ don't need it.
> > >
> > > Also consider programs like mplayer that can have a lot of
> > > codecs. Because it's illegal in the U.S. to listen to MP3,
> > > those may not be included. :-)
> > >
> > > Okay, you get the idea: There may apply "shipping restrictions".
> > > If I remember correctly, there has been such an issue for lame
> > > in the past, but I thought that it would have been resolved.
> > > When trying "make package", it was not possible, and there
> > > also was not package for use with pkg_add. You _had_ to compile
> > > it yourself because the terms of use told so.
> > >
> > > The ports collections has a specific field in Makefile that
> > > gives you information about such issues:
> > >
> > > RESTRICTED=     patent issues, see http://www.mp3licensing.com/
> > >
> > > So if OpenBSD serves a lame package (I mean a package containing
> > > lame), you should ask them in how far they have an agreement that
> > > allows them to do so, in comparison to what patent issues prohibit
> > > doing the same on FreeBSD.
> >
> > The OpenBSD port from here: http://openports.se/audio/lame
> >
> > Has its description of LAME as a *educational* tool, maybe that is
> > the reason why they provide package for LAME:
> >
> > | LAME is an educational tool to be used for learning about MP3
> > | encoding.  The goal of the LAME project is to improve the psycho
> > | acoustics, quality and speed of MP3 encoding.
> >
> > My buddy has sent email to OpenBSD LAME port maintainer with
> > question why they can distribute that without concerns, I will let
> > You know if he gets the answer.
>
> That's really a good reason to avoid the restriction. I think
> some specific kind of agreement has to be made to have this
> declaration take effect and allow packaging the software.
>
> There are other ports that don't have equivalents on FreeBSD.
> A good example is Java. While I think it's possible to
> package the software (the "make package" command), the
> current vendor or Java (no idea who is it today) forces
> you do manually download the sources and put them into
> /usr/ports/distfiles, requiring you to interactively
> agree with their terms of use.
>

> Now keep working harder and carry a towel. =^_^=

	All of the above argumentation is why I have decided to
	goto "the dark side."  im tired of ubuntu 12.04 chewing up
	>> 1.30 load while doing [abs] nothing, so before the guy I
	am hiring to come over and install a new KVM, I WIll
	likely switch to the free clone of redhat.  but at least
	linux is just about push-button to upgrade.  I spent nearly
	three months last spring to get my 7.3 up to date.  --there
	were ==still== about four ports that would not build!
	So after 17 years, it's best wishes and im moving on.

	years ago we [FBSD] had a sponsor of some kind.  I forget
	who, but they went belly-up or just quit on  us.  [???]
	I never was that much of a capitalist--and esp'ly not after
	three years of "consulting" until I found a REAL job.
	Nevertheless, it seems to me that having a backer would save
	us.  I guess it boils downto this:  either spent some N
	hours of work weekly in keeping this current -- (plus K
	hours between versions).  or find a sponsor.  or buy a
	mac.

	gary

              Twenty-six years of service to the Unix community.