doc

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Aug 18 11:16:30 UTC 2012

On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 06:16:31 -0400, Jerry wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 03:43:58 +0200
> Polytropon articulated:
>
> > On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 13:17:42 +0400, иван кузнецов wrote:
> > > how to open RU_FREEBSD_DOC_20111014.TBZ under windows?
> >
> > The file is a tar archive compressed with BZip2. It's no real
> > surprise that "Windows" cannot natively handle it, as with many
> > established standard formats. :-)
> >
> > > several program cant,i was attempt.7zip cant.
> >
> > It's not a 7zip archive; still the 7zip page on http://7-zip.org/
> > mentions that the BZip2 format is supported.
> >
> > However, there's BZip2 available for "Windows", maybe this
> > can help you: http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/bzip2.htm
> >
> > There are also claims that "WinRAR" is able to extract BZip2
> > files.
>
> WinZIP® <http://www.winzip.com/win/en/index.htm> is perfectly capable of
> handling the following file types:
>
>     Zip (.zip)
>     Zipx (.zipx)
>     RAR (.rar)
>     7Z (.7z)
>     BZ2 (.bz, .bz2, .tbz, .tbz2)
>     LHA/LZH (.lha, .lzh)
>     Cabinet (.cab)
>     Disc Image (.img, .iso)
>     TAR (.tar)
>     GZIP (.gz, .taz, .tgz)
>     Compress (.tz, .z)
>     UUencode (.uu, .uue)
>     XXencode (.xxe)
>     MIME (.b64, .mim)
>     BinHex (.bhx, .hqx)
>     Most other compressed files
>
> I was personally responsible for having the "7Z" format added several
> years ago.

I thought that the OP would have used "WinZIP" as the typical
first candidate, given the fact that .tbz means "tar bzip2"
archiving and compression. So that program should havve been
fine.

> By the way Poly, FreeBSD does not handle all types of compressed files
> natively any more than Windows does. There are also add-ons available
> to handle some really obscure formats.

It can handle everything that tar, cpio, pax, compress
and (of course bzip2 (belongs to the OS!) and all other
native tools utilizing libarchive addresses. I'm quite
confident that this is a better "out of the box support"
than what "Windows" has to offer because handling archives
usually involves manually downloading and installing 3rd
party programs, like "WinZIP" or "WinRAR". Of course I
do not claim "all types", e. g. for RAR archives you
also need to have the system install the proper program,
but who uses RAR anyway (except the packagers of warez)... :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany