9.0 release hang in quiescent X

Gary Aitken freebsd at dreamchaser.org
Sat Aug 18 03:03:05 UTC 2012

On 08/17/12 20:29, Matthew Navarre wrote:

> On Aug 17, 2012, at 7:00 PM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:

>>> Not sure I understand what you're getting at.  By "other things that could be triggered" what do you mean?  e.g. xclock obviously gets "triggered" at least once per minute; you're suggesting that event could be causinging an update request while blanked out that is causing trouble?
>>
>> Other long-term events that happen might be to blame, not related to screen blanking at all.  For example, a cron job.
>
> Just as a data point, I had the same thing happen on PC-BSD 9.0. The system would hang after just a couple minutes of inactivity, but would wake up again on keyboard input. Top showed X.org taking 100% of CPU and load averages got up to some seriously ridiculous levels. The workaround I found was to turn off the "Dim Screen" option in KDE. Never filed a bug report, since I didn't know if it was FreeBSD, PC-BSD or X.org.

That's not my issue; what I'm seeing is a screen that never wakes up; or, more accurately, a system which appears to have crashed completely, since I can't rlogin either.

I would guess the high load averages you saw may be related to everything in the world woken up at the same time for repaints.  I would expect x.org to take 100% of cpu when woken up.