How to keep freebsd-update from trashing custom kernel?

Brett Glass brett at lariat.net
Mon Aug 13 20:07:18 UTC 2012

At 11:33 AM 8/13/2012, Michael Sierchio wrote:

>And it does, in my experience.  If the hash of the kernel doesn't
>match that of the distribution (or recent update), freebsd-update
>leaves it alone.

That is what I thought it would do, based on the docs. However,
when I recently ran freebsd-update on a FreeBSD 9.0 machine with a
module-less custom kernel at /boot/kernel/kernel, it fetched a
GENERIC kernel and overwrote the custom kernel with it.
Interestingly, it didn't bring in any modules; it just overwrote the one file.

--Brett Glass