Patent hit - MS goes after Linux - FreeBSD ?

Daniel Rudy dr2867 at pacbell.net
Fri Aug 3 21:34:43 UTC 2012

--- On Fri, 8/3/12, kpneal at pobox.com <kpneal at pobox.com> wrote:

From: kpneal at pobox.com <kpneal at pobox.com>
Subject: Re:  Patent hit - MS goes after Linux - FreeBSD ?
To: "Wojciech Puchar" <wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
Cc: "freebsd-questions at freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Date: Friday, August 3, 2012, 9:42 AM

On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 04:09:06PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> >Unless Congress
> >pulls a Mickey Mouse Protection Act-lookalike on patents by extending
> >them just as they did with Copyright.
> >

> then it will still hit USA users only. FreeBSD master site can simply be
> moved.

If we're talking about patent infringement then moving FreeBSD outside of
the country does zero to protect users of FreeBSD. Every single one of
them that uses a part of FreeBSD that a patent holder claims infringes on
a patent is vulnerable to a lawsuit.

Also, if you pay attention to the news then you see in the DMCA, ACTA, the
TPP, and other examples that the US is trying to get the rest of the world
to adopt its views. The weird thinking that people in government have is
that the solution to a bad law that affects only the US is to get other
countries to adopt the same bad law so as to hurt everyone everywhere.

But, at the end of the day I think FreeBSD should worry about patent
infringement the way people worry about dying in a car wreck: Use a
reasonable amount of care to avoid it, and then don't worry about it.

--
Kevin P. Neal                                http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/

                    "A pig's gotta fly." - Crimson Pig