Patent hit - MS goes after Linux - FreeBSD ?

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Fri Aug 3 14:09:17 UTC 2012

> Let's also hope that most patents that could harm us (should there
> be some lurking out there) will have expired by then.

True. As most "technology" that ever microsoft "invented" is a quickly
reengineered or just stoled things that was already done many years
before in many other systems, very often BSD, then it is not a problem

> Unless Congress
> pulls a Mickey Mouse Protection Act-lookalike on patents by extending
> them just as they did with Copyright.

then it will still hit USA users only. FreeBSD master site can simply be
moved.

> But as usual with Congress, I wouldn't hold my breath: they aren't
> exactly known for enacting reasonable and sensible laws.

No government is known for that. but that's off topic.