bsdpan-* ports, portmanager, and "@comment ORIGIN:"

Daniel Staal DStaal at usa.net
Sun Apr 29 16:35:05 UTC 2012

I'm working on developing some stuff in Perl on my box, which works fairly
well unless I go to update my system.  Anytime I do, I get the following
error from portmanager:

`rCreateInstalledDbVerifyContentsFile 0.4.1_9 error: "@comment ORIGIN:" not
found in /var/db/pkg/bsdpan-$MODULE_NAME`

Where $MODULE_NAME is one of the modules I've installed via CPAN, instead
of using the FreeBSD ports system.  It will advise me to delete the package
and then try manually reinstalling it - which works, *if* I install the
Ports version.  Then running portmanager again will just pick the next
module from the list, and go on, until I've uninstalled everything I
installed via CPAN and installed it from Ports.

Which would be fine, if annoying, if everything actually was available in
Ports.  But it's not: I'm using several modules that aren't available from
Ports, and of course the modules I'm *developing* aren't available from
Ports.

So, is there any way to *avoid* getting that error?  Some way where I can
actually use the ports system to keep my stuff up to date?  (Even if it
doesn't include the manually-installed software?)  Or do I just have to
avoid anything Perl-related from the Ports system and install everything
manually?  (Or - likely at that point - find a different OS to work on.
It'd be less hassle to switch OSes than to try to make sure *nothing* using
Perl is installed from the Ports.)

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.