UFS Crash and directories now missing

Jerome Herman jherman at dichotomia.fr
Sat Apr 28 19:24:20 UTC 2012

On 28/04/2012 19:52, Alejandro Imass wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Robert Bonomi<bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com>  wrote:
>> Alejandro Imass<aimass at yabarana.com>  wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>>
>>> OK. So after your comments and further research I concur with you on
>>> the mv but if it wasn't a human, then this might be exposing a serious
>>> security flaw in the jail system or the way EzJail implements it.
>> BOGON ALERT!!!
>>
> I admit my ignorance on how the filesystem works but I don't think
> your condescending remarks add a lot of value. The issue here is this
> actually happened and there is a flaw somewhere other than "the stupid
> administrator did it".
Ok,

Not wanting to take any side in what could end up in personal attacks
and nasty things being said about any poster genitors but :

- Jails are very widely used, in fact it is probably one of the most
used functionnality of FreeBSD. Far beyond ZFS, MAC or any of the other
nice thingies FreeBSD has.
- Jails are very often misused. Though not overly complex, creating a
proper jail and upgrading it can sometime be a bit tricky.
- Though not entirely devoid of bug and perfect, FreeBSD 8.2 is probably
the best thing there is out there when it comes to system stability. It
might be lacking some little nooks and cranies when it comes to perfect
compliance with obscure standards, it might not behave as expected in
some very few situation, but these are extremely rare. FreeBSD 8.2 is
very widely used and this is one of the first time I heard of such a
problem in jails. Nothing even remotely rings a bell.

Take all these information into account and put yourself in our shoes.
When reading your problem description, most of us will be inclined to
think that you did something wrong.

My personnal guess would be that you probably abused  "ln" a bit too
much when creating the jails (total shot in the dark here, but it could
explain what happened).  I don't see how journaling could impact your
jails in anyway except if your jails were all extremely new when the
crash happened or that the I/O was such that FreeBSD could never sync
and commit journal from the time you created your jails to the time
where the system crashed.
Extremely unlikely.

So my question is : where all the jail created properly ? Did you cpdup
each and every one of them or were you lazy at some point ? Are all the
jails properly declared in rc.conf ? My guess would be that the first
jail was created in the right way, but that others were created using cp
and ln, resulting in unexpected behaviour in the end. If I am right then
the "surviving" jail would be either the first or the last you created.

Jerome Herman