need help on installing bsd in virtual box

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Apr 28 05:49:28 UTC 2012

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 23:01:28 +0100 (BST), dhillon sandeep wrote:
> Hi,
>        I am struggling in installing the bsd in virtualbox
> i am totally new to unix, but have previously installed
> Ubuntu linux in my virtual box, i have dounloaded both the
> images bootonly and release iso, after creating the new
> virtual machine and starting it for first time and by
> selecting the iso image nothing is happening or getting
> installed in the virtual machine. I downloaded the iso
> images from your BSD website. Please let me know what i
> am doing wrong or what do i need to do to install bsd.

As you have experiences with Ubuntu, maybe you're interested
in giving VirtualBSD a try? It's a preinstalled and preconfigured
image containing a FreeBSD installation. You can "play" it
with Virtualbox.

http://www.virtualbsd.info/

You can find instructions and screenshots on that web page.

Regarding the installation of a "normal" FreeBSD OS, refer
to the handbook with explains the basic steps of installation
and configuration.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/index.html

You need to properly configure your virtual environment and
pay attention to 32/64 bit when doing so. The "bootonly" image
is typically used to install the system via network, there are
no installation datasets on that media. The CD1 and DVD1 media
images will be the ones used in typical installations.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany