editor that understands CTRL/B, CTRL/I, CTRL/U

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Fri Apr 27 20:47:03 UTC 2012

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 13:58:40 -0600
Chad Perrin articulated:

>On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 01:57:10PM -0400, Jerry wrote:

>> >1. Pretty much every employer has a slightly different list of
>> >keywords. I guess you think all these job candidates should learn
>> >every skill in the world.
>>
>> No, I think they should learn the one(s) most sought after in their
>> chosen field. If 90% of the potential openings in a specific field
>> are requesting proficiency with MS Word, what do you think any
>> legitimate applicants should become proficient in?
>
>Right -- because all the keywords you need will always be Microsoft
>Word.
>
>Admit it: you're just making up half-baked excuses to disagree now.

If the requirement is for proficiency in MS Word, Excel or whatever and
you lack those skills then you are not qualified for the job. Period.
If those skills are the ones most requested then the applicant should
learn them. It doesn't get any simpler than that. If a job required
proficiency with 3+ years minimum experience in c++ and you only had
knowledge of Pascal, would you still believe you were qualified?

>> >2. Lying is bad.  Go fall in a hole, now.
>>
>> Yes, but it is never-the-less the norm on way too many resumes. I
>> have read where it is estimated that 1 out of every 3 is either a
>> gross over statement of fact or just a complete fabrication. My own
>> (original) resume, written by a professional resume writer many
>> years ago, absolutely astounded me. I had no idea I was as
>> proficient and skilled in so many areas. As the writer explained, it
>> is not what you say but how you say it. Just because I once wrote a
>> two page article that got published in a cheap magazine does not
>> mean that I am an accomplished author with numerous credits to my
>> name -- or does it?
>
>No, it doesn't.  Maybe "an accomplished author with one credit" to your
>name.  Amusingly, that'll turn out to be a great way for employers to
>notice you're exaggerating with that "accopmlished author" bit, too.
>Only by lying ("numerous credits") can you allay suspicions for a
>moment in those credulous enough to not ask for samples (which
>absolutely does not make it okay).

Now you are being naive. There are numerous examples of people in both
corporate and government jobs that have made out right lies as to
their education, etcetera. Some of those frauds have gone undetected
for years. The majority of resumes for entry level jobs are rarely if
ever given more than a perfunctory look.

The bottom line is if you want a job, you either learn or acquire the
criteria required for the job, or find a way to BS your way into it
and hope you can pull it off. No legitimate employer is going to change
his criteria to accommodate your skills.

--
Jerry ♔