editor that understands CTRL/B, CTRL/I, CTRL/U

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Fri Apr 27 17:57:14 UTC 2012

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 10:32:24 -0600
Chad Perrin articulated:

>On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 06:43:06PM -0400, Jerry wrote:
>> On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 15:52:56 -0600
>> Chad Perrin articulated:

>> >Indeed -- and the employer who bucks this trend does him/her self a
>> >huge service, because large numbers of very skilled and/or talented
>> >people are being rejected on entirely arbitrary criteria that have
>> >little or no correlation to their ability to do the job.  People who
>> >use such critera are forcing themselves to compete with everyone
>> >else in the industry using the same criteria, leaving a glut of job
>> >candidates who would be great at the job waiting for someone else to
>> >give them a chance.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be far easier for this "glut of job applicants" to either
>> become proficient in the skills stated in the job description for
>> which they are applying or do what everyone else does; i.e. lie on
>> their résumé. If the mountain will not come to Mahomet, Mahomet must
>> go to the mountain.
>
>1. Pretty much every employer has a slightly different list of
>keywords. I guess you think all these job candidates should learn
>every skill in the world.

No, I think they should learn the one(s) most sought after in their
chosen field. If 90% of the potential openings in a specific field are
requesting proficiency with MS Word, what do you think any legitimate
applicants should become proficient in?

>2. Lying is bad.  Go fall in a hole, now.

Yes, but it is never-the-less the norm on way too many resumes. I have
read where it is estimated that 1 out of every 3 is either a gross over
statement of fact or just a complete fabrication. My own (original)
resume, written by a professional resume writer many years ago,
absolutely astounded me. I had no idea I was as proficient and skilled
in so many areas. As the writer explained, it is not what you say
but how you say it. Just because I once wrote a two page article that
got published in a cheap magazine does not mean that I am an
accomplished author with numerous credits to my name -- or does it?

--
Jerry ♔