FreeBSD vice OS X memory management

jb jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 08:32:54 UTC 2012

Adam Vande More <amvandemore <at> gmail.com> writes:

> http://workstuff.tumblr.com/post/19036310553/two-things-that-really-helped-
> speed-up-my-mac-and
> http://dywypi.org/2012/02/back-on-linux.html

"2) Inactive memory (which is memory that has been recently used but is no
longer) is supposed to be seamlessly reclaimed automatically by the OS when
needed for new programs. In practice, I’ve found that this isn’t the case, and
my system slows to a crawl and starts paging out to disk when free memory drops
to zero, even as half of the available RAM (which is a lot) is marked as
inactive. ..."

Well, this is not a case of a "BSD is dying" troll (you can safely ignore
those).

The above and the past FreeBSD thread here, both I referred to, have something
in common - the system seems to progressively come under stress due to what one
user experienced as "missing memory", and other two users experienced (as shown
here above) as inefficient (or lack of) early reclamation of inactive pages.

We just want the devs and users make aware of things.

jb