Dual monitors ok, but no mouse and keyboard action on the slave screen

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Apr 22 23:53:10 UTC 2012

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 13:43:31 +0200, Kenneth Hatteland wrote:
> I`ve gotten a 17 inch monitor in addition to my 22 inch working with 2
> separate desktops. I plan to have stuff like wireshark etc on the
> smallest. But I have a problem, I can get no work done since I have no
> mouse or keyboard working on the 17"...
>
> Anyone have somewhere with a solution to point me towards ?

There are basically two kind of two-monitor settings: One
is to have the WM manage them, the other one is to "concatenate"
them to one "logical screen".

I've been using the "concatenated screen" with two 21" CRTs,
each running at 1400x1050, so the result was a 2800x1050
ultra extended extraordinary super hyper big wide screen. :-)

You can configure this in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf (which you
can have X auto-generate).

For example, "ServerLayout" could contain

	Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
	Screen 1 "Screen1" LeftOf "Screen0"
	Option "Xinerama" "on"

Then add the two "Monitor" sections according to the screen
parameters (in my case, identical data).

In the final "Screen" section, you can then experiment with

	Option "TwinView"
	Option "TwinViewOrientation" "LeftOf"
	Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT, CRT"

depending on your actual connection setup.

You can find more inspiration here:

Dual head issues, non-xinerama setup possible?

Dual monitor setup
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-mobile/2005-January/005613.html

Dual monitors xorg.conf
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2005-May/087929.html

Using two monitors with X.org
http://www.freebsddiary.org/xorg-two-screens.php

Many things to consider depend on your actual setting (which
hardware you have, what WM you use and which behaviour you
want).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany