converting UTF-8 to HTML

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Apr 22 12:33:52 UTC 2012

On 22/04/2012 12:06, Polytropon wrote:
> How about the "extended ASCII character set" that has a mixture
> of "non-US glyphs" and semi-graphic symbols?
>
> 	http://asciiset.com/extended.gif
>
> This default layout isn't tied to a specific encoding, if I
> remember correctly, or is it? Accessing the set as seen in the
> picture allows using "special character" from many languages,
> such as german umlauts and eszett, greek gamma and phi,
> danish o-slash, swedish a-circle and even the yen symbol.
> And the nice semi-graphic symbols to draw boxes and backgrounds,
> as well as card deck symbols or the "lazy L".

Yeah.  It's just a compromise 1-byte per glyph character set designed to
support the wealthier bits of Western Europe as well as the USA, from
back when the cost of supporting all sorts of different locales was
really expensive compared to the expected sales of equipment in them.
Doesn't have a € symbol as far as I can see.  I doubt it would go down
well in Łódź either.  Nor Αθήνα as it doesn't have a complete Greek
alphabet.  Most of the Greek letters are there to support their use as
mathematical symbols.

It was a reasonable compromise back in the late 1980's but if anyone
came up with this as a serious proposal today, they'd just get laughed at.

Given that China and India are going to become /the/ big economies
within the next several years, only having a limited anglo-centric
system like that will be a significant obstacle to future popularity.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3