blu ray recorders

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Thu Apr 19 14:58:02 UTC 2012

On 16/04/2012 18:04, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> today BD recordable disks have prices that make sense as well as recorders.
>
> but as i never had one i want to ask - how it is used under FreeBSD.
>
> Does growisofs work just like with DVD-R or other tools are needed?

I have an LG BH12LS38 blu-ray burner in a machine I bought in december.
Running 9.0-RELEASE

I haven't burnt a BD-R yet but I have used k3b (which is just a gui
front end to growisofs,mkisofs,cdrecord,cdrdao,etc) to burn plenty of
single layer dvd's.

 From the info I can see that cdrecord and growisofs list blu-ray in
features.

The prefs show the drive info with BD-R BD-RE listed in write
capabilities. Available space jumps in sizes up to 50GB and it asks you
to insert a blu-ray medium if file sizes total over 8GB

It looks to have all the support needed.

As for authoring a blu-ray to play in your home theatre it could be
another story - I haven't looked into that.