Changes in Jails from FreeBSD 6 to FreeBSD 9 -- particularly, networking and routing

Mark Felder feld at feld.me
Fri Apr 13 22:58:53 UTC 2012

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 15:53:49 -0500, Chad Leigh Shire.Net LLC
<chad at shire.net> wrote:

> No NAT needed since they share the network stack under Jails v1 they
> share the routing tables.  It works.  Try it.

You're clearly exploiting a bug in FreeBSD 6's jails. It must get confused
and send your public IP on those packets. I have no idea how it processes
the return traffic successfully, but "that's a neat trick!". There is no
possible way for this to work without NAT or whatever bug this is. If a
Jail has a 192.168 IP all packets would leave with a source of 192.168.
When Google or whoever on the internet gets your packets it would see
192.168 and probably drop it because that's not a publicly routable
network.

Without NAT it's impossible for any device anywhere on the planet to
access the internet with an RFC 1918 IP address.