Keyboard Input Vanishes Seconds After Loading GNOME

tmp at patishnock.com tmp at patishnock.com
Thu Apr 12 19:16:46 UTC 2012

I am experiencing a most peculiar problem upon loading the GNOME
desktop on a brand new install of FreeBSD v9.0 RELEASE.

So far, I have

     Installed the FreeBSD v9.0 RELEASE operating system for the x86-64
platform
     Installed xorg
     Installed gnome2

In order to enable both the loading of xorg and gnome(2), I have edited
my /etc/rc.conf file. Here is what cat reports:

#cat /etc/rc.conf
hostname= "Mephisto"
ifconfig_re0="DHCP"
sshd_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
#Set dumpdev to "AUTO" to enable crash dumps, "NO" to disable
dumpdev="NO"
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
gnome_enable="YES"
gdm_enable="YES"

After entering in my password at the GNOME GDM login, I am able to get
to my desktop and have access to my programs. However, if I were to open
say Gedit and type for any period of time, my keyboard input will
disappear and I will either be unable to type anything or it will
infinitely type the last character I typed (e.g. the letter "k").

Has anyone else faced this situation and if so, how do I go about
solving this?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my request.

Sincerely,

Timothy