booting a CD-ROM

gs_stoller at juno.com gs_stoller at juno.com
Tue Apr 3 08:58:48 UTC 2012

      I have an old  FreeBSD  system that I haven't used for a long time and I have forgotten the passwords.  This machine has  FreeBSD-4.3  and  FreeBSD-4.7  on it, and also  MS'  Windows98 .  I tried getting onto that system by booting with a  CD-ROM  which started going and gave me the following messages:
            boot from  ATAPI  CD-ROM
            CD Loader 1.2
            Building the boot loader arguments
            Relocating the loader and the BTX
      The system then did not output for a liitle over 5 minutes and then typed:
            Starting the
and after this I waited for over 5 minutes but the system did not type anything else.  Then I tried  booting that  CD-ROM  on another system where it booted successfully and the program on it ( FreesBIE version 2) ran and I could communicate with it.  I suspect a problem with the  boot loader on the first system.
     Where can I get a new boot loader for that system?    Since I want to get a modern  FreeBSD  (version 9.1 or higher), I expect that will include a new multi-system loader on it that I can use on the old system if I can load just that.  How can I load just the boot loader?  Also, what is the structure of the  password  files (is this on the  web  with a per system-version note so if it has been changed over time, I can find those I need) on those systems, and how can I find and clear out the password for  root  so I can get in and set its password and then the other passwords?
    Thanks in advance for your help.