Access to Time Warner cable network

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Sun Apr 1 16:29:26 UTC 2012

On 01/04/2012 15:59, Jerry wrote:
> Mathew, I don't know if it is as cut and dry as that. The OP claimed

That's Matthew with two t's.

> that his Microsoft PC connected properly but not his FreeBSD machine.
> That, in itself, is certainly not surprising. I have always had better
> luck setting up networks with Microsoft; however, why is it that he is
> apparently the only FreeBSD user who is exhibiting these problems? I
> suppose it is conceivable that he alone uses the northern Ohio Time
> Warner cable system. I find that rather hard, although not impossible
> to believe. Further more, is this one branch of the TW empire the only
> one using this configuration? I kind of doubt that myself. It would
> seem to me that the problem lies in the OP's configuration itself. He
> claimed it worked with "AT&T". Is it possible he has some left over
> remnants of that configuration that are causing this problem. Windows
> would not suffer that problem since it creates a new configuration for
> each new host.

You are correct in the sense that I was making general comments and not
really addressing the OP's specific problems at all.  Yes, quite
probably it is user error rather than TW producing a completely
non-sensical setup.  (I didn't say TW's setup wouldn't work, only that
it didn't seem to conform to the appropriate standards.)

Not knowing *anything* about how TW's cable network works, nor having
any detailed debugging information, all I can do is reiterate the old
mantra to the OP:

   1) Tell us exactly what you did.

   2) Tell us exactly what happened.

   3) Tell us what you expected to happen.

   4) Tell us why you think what happened was inconsistent with your
      actions in (1).

And when I say "tell" I mean /cut'n'paste relevant bits of config files/
and /show us what the output on your screen or in your log files was/.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.