Printer recommendation please

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Apr 1 09:29:32 UTC 2012

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 14:01:43 -0700, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
> I personally don't trust wireless, because it's well nigh impossible
> to truly secure it.

In that case, one should also pay attention to secure the
printer. Wait - secure the printer? What am I talking about?

Firmware attacks!

Yes - malware has already reached printers. As they contain
all typical parts of a computer and are equipped with net-
working capabilities, they can cause trouble in networks
the same way as what hujacked "Windows" PCs typically do.
They can be turned into networked "allies", carrying out
the attackers orders within networks.

Those who are interested may find some information here:

Exclusive: Millions of printers open to devastating hack attack, researchers say
http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/29/9076395-exclusive-millions-of-printers-open-to-devastating-hack-attack-researchers-say

ShmooCon 2011: Printers Gone Wild!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZgLX60U3sY#t=3m40s

ShmooCon 2011: Printer to PWND: Leveraging Multifunction Printers During
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPhisPLwm2A

Printer malware: print a malicious document, expose your whole LAN
http://boingboing.net/2011/12/30/printer-malware-print-a-malic.html

Print Me If You Dare
Firmware Modification Attacks and the Rise of Printer Malware
http://events.ccc.de/congress/2011/Fahrplan/events/4780.en.html

HP firmware to 'mitigate' LaserJet vulnerability
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57347817-83/hp-firmware-to-mitigate-laserjet-vulnerability/

It seems that printers can be infected via specific network
traffic or closed-source malicious "drivers" (that nobody
can examine content-wise) that will find their way to the
device. Depending on your local legislation, that can develop
into dangerous (and expensive) directions...

> > 2. Standard language.
> > Postscript and PCL. Make sure the printer understands at least
> > one of them.
>
> or, alternatively, PDF (which some of the newer printers are reputed
> to take directly, rather than requiring the host to convert it to PS
> or PCL).

Jerry mentioned this, and I think it's a feature worth demanding
when buying a new printer. Still if PDF input is not possible,
PCL or PS should be looked for. All those considerations make
sure you can use the printer with _any_ OS you like, and due
to this fact it will be usable even after the "target OS" will
be out of support (and follow-up drivers won't be provided).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany