Error during boot-up

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Wed Sep 28 19:44:41 UTC 2011

From time to time when booting up or rebooting on of my FreeBSD-8.2
amd 64 machines, the following error message is displayed ad infinitum:

nfe0: discard frame w/o leading ethernet header (len 0 pkt len 0)

All I can do is repeatedly hit <CTRL>+C until the log-on screen appears.
Then log-in as root and reboot. Sometimes this works and sometimes it
doesn't. The same phenomena may happen repeatedly 10 times or more or
suddenly just disappear. I have tried using "ifconfig" to bring the
network up when this happens but it fails. Only a reboot seems to make
any difference.

I am at a loss to figure out how to correct this problem or even what
is causing it. It just suddenly started approximately three months ago.
I have changed routers so I think I can safely eliminate that as the
source of the problem. None of my Windows machines have ever complained
about this so I am wondering if it isn't local to FreeBSD. I think the
problem first manifested itself after updating to the "8.2" version
since I do not remember it happening prior to that.

--
Jerry ✌
jerry+fbsd at seibercom.net

Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or ignored.
Do not CC this poster. Please do not ignore the "Reply-To" header.