autologin on default shell /bin/sh

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 00:07:50 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 4:46 PM, Matthew Seaman
<m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:
> On 26/09/2011 22:37, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>> in /etc/gettytab

>>        :ht:np:sp#115200:al=olivares
>>
>> as my username is olivares.  It is working on BETA 2 :)  Now I hope to
>> get it working again at home on an 8.2 amd machine.

I had it working (autologin on 8.2 amd64) on two machines, but I
wanted to test out/install nvidia driver and I used sysinstall to
install kernel source from 8.2 dvd and then many things I had working,
like printer, scanner were erased.  Shell changed back to /bin/sh, I
was using bash.  For some reason or another, it was not working.  I
did the same thing and now it works again :)

>> I will report back but return different machine and different
>> information, hope only with a success report :)
>
> This functionality hasn't changed over many FreeBSD versions --
> certainly since the days of FreeBSD 4.x, and probably not over the
> entire lifetime of the FreeBSD project.
>
> If you do the same thing on your 8.2 machine as you've done on your
> 9.0beta2 machine, then it should work exactly the same.

In the beta 2 machine, the /dev/ttys has xterm instead of original
cons25.  Other than that, you are correct with the rest of the
information.  It was strange that someone/some folks have changed
cons25 to xterm.

>        Cheers,
>
>        Matthew
>
> --
> Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                   7 Priory Courtyard
>                                                  Flat 3
> PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey     Ramsgate
> JID: matthew at infracaninophile.co.uk               Kent, CT11 9PW

Thanks to both yourself and Warren for your valuable input.  I could
not have gotten anywhere without your advice :)  I appreciate your
advice/comments & suggestions. Also other folks like Polytropon have
been tremendous in helping out with some issues I have encountered.
Can't forget Anton either with TeTeX issues on ports as well.  I hope
not to have forgotten anyone :(

Regards,

Antonio