autologin on default shell /bin/sh

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Sep 25 19:08:30 UTC 2011

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 12:44 PM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Sep 2011, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>>
>>> I tried to edit ~/.cshrc and copied W Block's example, but it did not work
>>>
>>> https://freebsd-forums.liquidneon.com/showthread.php?t=22304
>>
>> Current link: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=22304
>>
>> That example was copied from a specially-configured FreeBSD image that
>> auto-starts in X.  Try it exactly.  If it doesn't work, please be specific
>> about what it does.
>
> I tried it and it worked as Matthew suggested for one time.  I put it
> in .profile and it worked one time.

That will depend on the user's shell; the code is written for csh and
will have to be changed for sh or bash.

> Subsequent reboots, I have to login then startx runs automatically

That would say the autologin entry isn't right.  Incidentally, the
built-in test(1) command can conflict with use of the word "test", so
it's best to use something else.  At least for filenames, it might not
be a problem here.