Progress of Intel GEM/KMS/DRI laptop video driver?

Xn Nooby xnooby at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 04:47:21 UTC 2011

I have read about a patch for Intel video that might make it into
Release 9.0, is there any way to know if it is in "9.0-current"?  I
installed the 9 beta 2 snapshot, but I don't think the video support
was there. (Next time I will check the compatibility list!)

The patch is for Intel laptop video support, and is mentioned here:

http://freebsdfoundation.blogspot.com/2011/02/freebsd-foundation-announces-new.html

"The FreeBSD Foundation is pleased to announce that Konstantin
Belousov has been awarded a grant to implement support of GEM, KMS,
and DRI for Intel Drivers. This project is being co-sponsored by
iXsystems.

The project is to implement GEM, port KMS, and write new DRI drivers
for Intel Graphics, including the latest Sandy Bridge generation of
integrated graphic units. The work should allow the latest Intel
open-source driver to run on FreeBSD, expanding the range of hardware
where FreeBSD is suitable for the desktop."