Help with devd.conf

Rod Person rodperson at rodperson.com
Sat Sep 24 14:04:19 UTC 2011

I'm trying to understand devd.conf to auto mount usb devices. For
example I have a usb drive that will show up as da1 so as a test I just
want to write something to syslog when it is plugged in.

This is what I have tried in devd.conf:

notify 20{
	match "system"		"DEVFS";
	match "subsystem"	"CDEV";
	match "type"		"CREATE";
	match "cdev"		"da[1-9]+";
	action "logger you plugged in some usb device";
};

notify 20{
	match "system"		"USB";
	match "subsytem"	"DEVICE";
	match "type"		"ATTACH";
	action "logger some type of usb thing attached";
};

With either of these the message does not get logged. I have tried
different priorities and that doesn't make a difference. I have also
tried using attach instead of notify and that seems to trigger
something, but then I get an error message:

SCSI sense: UNIT ATTENTION asc:28,0 (Not ready to ready change, medium
may have changed)

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

--
Rod Person