rsync over nfs or rsync protocol

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Sep 23 21:16:04 UTC 2011

On Sep 23, 2011, at 2:04 PM, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> Is rsync a good choice for a backup tool?

It's OK.  A versioned backup system (dump/restore, Legato Networker, Amanda, Retrospect, etc) is more efficient at using backup storage.

> Should I use the rsyncd or should I use NFS?  I'm using 100 mbps ethernet.

If it's local and you already have NFS in place, that would be fine.  If you're backing up over a WAN, rsyncd is probably a better call.

> What's the better solution I haven't considered?

Lots.  The handbook has a chapter on backups which is worth reading, also....

Regards,
--
-Chuck