Dynamic Window Manager install with patch(es)

Andy Zammy andyzammy at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 22 00:17:31 UTC 2011

Hi all,

First time poster to the lists!

Using dwm, loving the minimalism and it's forcing me to learn stuff the hard
way which is all good. But I can't seem to figure out how to apply a patch
to it.

According to the instructions listed here: http://dwm.suckless.org/patches/ I
figured I'm to use the "tarball method" as that's how ports fetches dwm. I
tried applying the method to /usr/ports/x11-wm/dwm/work/dwm-5.9 but it
didn't work (malformed patch).

I've used ubuntu for about a year but for all intents and purposes I'm still
a beginner with UNIX-like, and I've never used patch or diff before. But, I
remembered that these are ports and wonder if these patches would work on
FreeBSD source? Would I have to apply the patch to the tarball while it's in
distfiles before it gets 'ported' to freebsd? Or am I talking crazy?

Any help would be appreciated.

andy