9.0 beta2 & the new bsdinstaller

Fbsd8 fbsd8 at a1poweruser.com
Mon Sep 19 12:52:25 UTC 2011

Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
> On 09/19/11 02:52, Fbsd8 wrote:
>> Kevin Oberman wrote:

>>> The 64KB freebsd-boot partition is to contain the GPT boot code which
>>> is used by UEFI BIOS in
>>> place of the old MBR used by legacy BIOS. You need to use gpart(8) to
>>> write the GPT boot code to that partition, but I don't know if
>>> bsdinstall does so. It might just write the PMBR that is used for
>>> booting with legacy BIOS. I'll admit that I have not checked. (See the
>>> gpart(8) man page for details on writing the pmbr and gptboot.) I
>>> assume bsdinstall writes both so that AMD64 machines with EFI and
>>> 32-bit systems will both work. This is very different from the old
>>> traditional slice/partition system.
>>
>> The above info is another example of the type of information that should
>> be added to a "help" option on the dialog screen for the bsdinstall disk
>> configuration function.
>>
>> I also think that the bsdinstaller should offer the user an option to
>> select between using the old MBR configuration used by legacy BIOS that
>> sysinstall uses and the new gpart configuration which bsdinstall offers
>> now.
>
> You absolutely can do new MBR installs, as well as new straight bsdlabel
> installs ("dangerously dedicated"). You just have to use the partition
> editor instead of the autopartitioner, and then choose to use the
> appropriate partition type.
> -Nathan

I think you missed the point here. What is being requested is the
partitioning dialog from sysinstall to be included in bsdinstall. The
bsdinstall partitioning dialog should inform users about the differences
between older and newer PCs and offer options to auto-configure the H.D
appropriately. Or better yet have bsdinstall check the hardwares bios to
determine if the bios are UEFI aware and what methods can be used to
partition. The key here is that bsdinstall should provide at least the
same level of automation as sysinstall has on this subject.