System locking up.

Daniel Staal DStaal at usa.net
Sun Sep 18 21:59:16 UTC 2011

--As of September 18, 2011 2:29:20 PM +0100, Graeme Dargie is alleged to
have said:

> I have a system that is being problematic, I suspect but I cannot say for
> sure it is maybe related to ZFS as I have a fairly large ZFS pool on the
> machine. The system will just lock up, local console does not respond to
> the keyboard, num lock still changes the led on the keyboard, the system
> still responds to pings but you cannot ssh to the unit. The behaviour is
> random the system can be running for 50 days plus with no issues then
> suddenly it enters this state, the error logs do not show anything.

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Where is your swap located?  I've seen similar on a ZFS system with swap on
ZFS, when running low on RAM.  If that's the case, you can either put in
more RAM (so you don't need to use swap) or move swap to a dedicated
disk/partition, that's not under ZFS control.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.