9.0 bata2 & keymap

Chris Rees utisoft at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 20:43:40 UTC 2011

On 17 Sep 2011 17:25, "Fbsd8" <fbsd8 at a1poweruser.com> wrote:

> [...]
keep the default. The utility being invoked is just kbdmap(1), and any
changes to it need to go there.

> >> .. maybe name that button "skip" then?
> >>

> >The button is provided by kbdmap, as is the entire screen. We could add
>an "installer" mode to kbdmap that names it skip instead of cancel, of
>course. I'm traveling for another 2 weeks and won't have time to do >that,
however.
> >-Nathan
> >

> Nathan
>
> Its good to be talking directly with the bsdinstall author.
>
> Changing the cancel button in the kbdmap command to skip, does not address
the problem, which is the lack of knowledge of the standard bsdinstall user.
I've been using Freebsd since 4.0 and never used the kbdmap command or for
that matter even knew it existed.

Wait, are you suggesting that everyone on Earth can "make do" with the
"standard" keyboard layout until they learn rc.conf syntax?

I would strongly object if localisation of the keyboard were not "forced on"
the user; we don't all use pc105-us, and the ability to use the keyboard
properly early on is kinda helpful.

Chris