Need an audio multicasting solution

Michael Cardell Widerkrantz mc at hack.org
Mon Sep 12 18:05:32 UTC 2011

Victor Sudakov <vas at mpeks.tomsk.su>, 2011-09-09 08:21 (+0200):

> I need a solution to read sound from a soundcard (/dev/dsp) and
> multicast it into the network, for the multicast audio stream to be
> played on FreeBSD, Linux and Windows workstations.

Does the old LBL vat tool still work on modern system?

  http://ee.lbl.gov/vat/

I haven't used it for 15 years or so but it worked back then.

Also, the Robust Audio Tool (rat) might still work. Seems to need work
to get it running on FreeBSD according to their website but it used to
work on FreeBSD. Again, it was over ten years ago I used this. It seems
to live here nowadays:

  http://mediatools.cs.ucl.ac.uk/nets/mmedia/wiki/RatWiki#RobustAudioToolRAT

Quotes:

  RAT require no special features for point-to-point communication, just
  a network connection and a soundcard. For multiparty conferencing RAT
  uses IP multicast and therefore all participants must reside on a
  multicast capable network.

  RAT is a cross platform tool which is now available for Linux and
  WinXP. In the past it was also maintained for use a variety of
  operating systems including: FreeBSD, HP-UX, IRIX, NetBSD, Solaris,
  SunOS, and Windows 95/NT. Users are welcome to test and contribute
  code for any of these other OSes. Please let us know or contribute to
  the wiki.

--
http://hack.org/mc/
Use plain text e-mail, please. HTML messages silently dropped.