KVM switch with FreeBSD-8.2

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Sep 11 23:24:39 UTC 2011

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 11:20:19 -0500, Adam Vande More wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 8:03 AM, Carmel <carmel_ny at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am wondering if anyone has any personal experience with using KVM
> > switches with FreeBSD and what that experience might be. I would really
> > like to integrate these two PC into using just one common monitor,
> > etcetera mostly due to space considerations.
> >

> My experience with this is limited, but good.  It's been sometime since I've
> used this setup, but I recall the FreeBSD was actually PCBSD and for it to
> work correctly I have to have them KVM switched to it when X was starting.

I have ben using a similar approach in the past, but in order
to get rid of the requirement "when X is started, console must
be attached" I had hardcoded the neccessary screen settings
in xorg.conf so X would start even if nothing would have been
connected. Sadly I can't remember the particular model that
I had, but it had buttons to select one of the 8 "console
channels" on its front. I found this was better than using
something that required some weird keyboard shortcut as those
are traditionally handled by the OS or by X. A LED indicator
next to the buttons on the device's front indicated which
system the console was connected to and if the system was
online.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany