KVM switch with FreeBSD-8.2

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Sun Sep 11 18:28:53 UTC 2011

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011, Robert Huff wrote:

> Carmel writes:
>
>>  I am thinking of using a "TRENDnet 2-Port DVI USB KVM Switch Kit with
>>  Audio TK-214i" with a FreeBSD-8.2 amd64 PC and a Windows 7 machine. I
>>  presently have a Samsung 24" digital monitor and a Logitech S510
>>  cordless keyboard & mouse combination. The keyboard, mouse and monitor
>>  presently work fine on FreeBSD.
>>
>>  I am wondering if anyone has any personal experience with using KVM
>>  switches with FreeBSD and what that experience might be. I would really
>>  like to integrate these two PC into using just one common monitor,
>>  etcetera mostly due to space considerations.
>
> 	I have not used that particular make/model, but I have used a
> KVM and it worked.  I vaguely remember accounts of people who had
> problems; a search of the mailing-list archives is advisable.

The problem I have heard of relates to "what happens if the machine boots
with the KVM switched to another machine?" The KVM may need to pretend
there is a keyboard connected at that point. You certainly can't tell by
looking at the box, but the Trendnet TK-407 I have (which is a 4-port USB
KVM from the vendor you mention) works fine with FreeBSD and Windows. We
haven't tested the mouse in FreeBSD. Since any USB KVM would be fairly
recent, you might just want to take a chance.

Solaris Sparc systems had worse problems.

Daniel Feenberg