Need an audio multicasting solution

Alejandro Imass ait at p2ee.org
Fri Sep 9 13:29:00 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 2:21 AM, Victor Sudakov <vas at mpeks.tomsk.su> wrote:
> Colleagues,
>
> I need a solution to read sound from a soundcard (/dev/dsp) and
> multicast it into the network, for the multicast audio stream to be
> played on FreeBSD, Linux and Windows workstations. No sophisticated
> codecs needed, plain PCM would do.
>
> Can you advise something? I know that in theory there are many ways to
> implement this, but I am especially interested in personal first-hand
> experience, success stories or good white papers. Please no
> lmgtfu-type replies. Thanks very much in advance.

I doubt people in this list are the lmgtfu type!

I use Icecast on FBSD and it works great.

For the client though we use Ubuntu with idjc and Jack.

Probably Jack works well on FBSD
(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/audio/jack_mixer/) and
you could run everything on a single node, but from my experience with
Jack on Linux, it probably ain't gonna be easy.

Nevertheless, the _usual_ way is having your *cast daemon on a server
with ample bandwidth and the client(s) is separate node.

For us, the Icecast FBSD server + idjc/Jack on Linux is a great
combination but YMMV.

Regards,

--
Alejandro Imass