Date Ports Installed or Install Log

Richard Collyer richard at blueapex.co.uk
Sun Sep 4 11:10:12 UTC 2011

On 04/09/2011 12:02, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 04/09/2011 11:05, Richard Collyer wrote:
>> I was trying to get CUPS working last night and installed
>> gutenprint-cups but the make failed half way through - managed to get
>> the printer working without it so no longer need it. As a result its
>> installed a fair number of packaged (mostly X11 related) that I don't
>> need on this headless server so I'd like to tidy them up.
>>
>> Is there a way of finding out what date/order ports have been installed
>> or is the output that is sent over ssh logged anywhere so I can trace
>> back and find out what packages I need to nerf.
> Look at the file modification times in the directories under /var/db/pkg
> -- that will tell you the last time the port was updated or installed.
>
> Note: you can't rely on the modification time of the port directory
> itself.  Tools like portmaster(1) will create additional files within
> the directory, which affects that timestamp.  An example -- choosing one
> of my installed ports pretty much arbitrarily:
>
> lucid-nonsense:/var/db/pkg:% ls -la postgresql-client-9.0.4_1/
> total 107
> -rw-r--r--    1 root  wheel      29 Jun 11 23:22 +COMMENT
> -rw-r--r--    1 root  wheel  112912 Jul  9 10:23 +CONTENTS
> -rw-r--r--    1 root  wheel    1282 Jun 11 23:22 +DESC
> -rw-r--r--    1 root  wheel     831 Jun 11 23:22 +DISPLAY
> -rw-r--r--    1 root  wheel   17550 Jun 11 23:22 +MTREE_DIRS
> -rw-r--r--    1 root  wheel     771 Sep  3 09:19 +REQUIRED_BY
> drwxr-xr-x    2 root  wheel       8 Sep  3 09:19 ./
> drwxr-xr-x  377 root  wheel     377 Sep  3 09:22 ../
>
> You can see that there are 3 different dates here:
>
>     Sept 3rd at 09:19 -- this is the last time I ran portmaster to
>        update my ports.  Note that its the +REQUIRED_BY file that
>        has been updated.  One of the ports that requires
>        postgresql-client was updated then.
>
>     Jul 11 at 23:22 -- most of the files were modified at this
>        time, and it is in fact when I last updated postgresql-client
>        on that machine.
>
>     Jul 9 at 10:23 -- +CONTENTS is a few days older than the other
>        files.  This is because I installed postgresql-client from a
>        package I'd built in a separate jail a slightly earlier.  This
>        is the date the package was built.
>
> Therefore, in order to see the packages installed during your abortive
> attempt to deal with gutenprint-cups, try:
>
>      # cd /usr/ports/packages
>      # ls -lrt */+COMMENT
>
> That will list all your installed ports in order of the last time they
> were updated, most recent ones last.  You should be able to identify the
> appropriate date range and work from there.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

Thanks Matthew you are a star.

Just incase anyone else reads this for a solution I think the cd
/usr/ports/packages line near the bottom was a typo and should have been
/var/db/pkg which confused me for a while as I wasn't getting any
packages listed using the first dir.

Many thanks for the help,
Richard

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6434 (20110903) __________