Mount a ufs partition writable by group wheel?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Sep 2 14:31:11 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 16:08:08 +0200, Michael M wrote:
> Excuse my generic question, I should have asked:
>
> Can the group rw options for given partition destination be defined in fstab
> upon mount?

No. The access rights depend on the owner:group permissions
of the mountpoint directory. The _act_ of mounting depends
on the mounter's ownership of the corresponding device files.

So in order to to only allow wheel group members to access
a certain mount point for ug=rwx, the permissions of that
mount point have to be set. This is done independently from
what /etc/fstab is for (which controls the _act_ of mounting
if all requirements - as mentioned above - are met).

However, there _are_ options that can be included in fstab
for applying a certain mask to files contained in a mounted
directory, see -m and -M in "man mount_msdosfs" for example.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany