idletime in login.conf

Jason Helfman jhelfman at e-e.com
Mon Oct 31 19:42:41 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 08:11:57PM +0100, Julian H. Stacey thus spake:
>Hi,
>Reference:
>> From:		Jason Helfman <jhelfman at e-e.com>
>> Date:		Mon, 31 Oct 2011 11:25:32 -0700
>> Message-id:	<20111031182532.GF82316 at eggman.experts-exchange.com>
>
>Jason Helfman wrote:

>> >Actually, the idle timeout is not implemented in the base system.  It's
>> >there in case someone writes a 3rd-party module that does idle detection.
>> >See the login.conf manpage:
>> >
>> >RESERVED CAPABILITIES
>> >     The following capabilities are reserved for the purposes indicated and
>> >     may be supported by third-party software.  They are not implemented in
>> >     the base system.
>> >[...]
>> >     idletime          time                Maximum idle time before logout.
>> >

>> You may want to look into /usr/ports/sysutils/doinkd for this. I use it on
>> many systems, and it works remarkable well, and it is highly configurable.
>>
>> -jgh
>>
>> --
>> Jason Helfman
>> System Administrator
>
>That was a useful tip, but people (inc. self) will not remember.
>Suggestion: use send-pr to submit a diff to add
>	SEE ALSO ports/sysutils/doinkd
>to man login.conf
>
>Cheers,
>Julian

I don't believe doinkd respects the values of login.conf, however you may
use those values for what is configurable for doinkd. I don't believe it is
the correct place in a base man page for mentioning a port in the FreeBSD
tree, or in at least this case.

If you feel it is, feel free to send in a problem report. I, myself, will
not be filing a report for this item.

-jgh

--
Jason Helfman