FreeBSD on EC2

Jesse Sheidlower jester at panix.com
Mon Oct 31 13:28:10 UTC 2011

I've been experimenting with FreeBSD on EC2, in the hopes that I can
move some systems there. I'm pleased with the possibilities, but have a
two initial questions:

First, the t1.micro instance, which I'm starting with, is supposed to
have 10 GB of EBS storage--1GB for the kernel on the boot partition, and
9GB for the rest. But my instance only has 4.8GB on root:

$ df -h
Filesystem    Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/da1s1    4.8G    4.1G    332M    93%    /
devfs         1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/da0      1.0G     21M    944M     2%    /boot/grub

Where's the rest? I asked about this in the EC2 forums, and someone said
that it's probably unformatted space on a different partition; if so, I
could use some advice about adding this to the existing root partition,
and I'm also curious why this would be set up like this. 4.8GB isn't
enough for me to compile everything I need, even if I put my data on
another EBS volume....

Second, the FreeBSD on EC2 page at
http://www.daemonology.net/freebsd-on-ec2/ says that the first instance
of 8.2b-RELEASE is for t1.micro instances only, but when I start this
instance, I'm given the option of starting it as t1.micro, m1.small, or
c1.medium (the high-CPU medium option). In production I'd like to run
this as the m1.small or the m1.large instance; I guess there's no large
instance possible but is there any problem with using the small? Is
there any time frame for the availability of a large instance? I think
I'm going to need to use EC2 instead of buying a new physical server,
and I'd really rather stick with FreeBSD instead of moving to Debian....

Thanks.