How to dual-boot FreeBSD 9 with Linux?

Thomas Mueller mueller6727 at bellsouth.net
Sat Oct 29 04:57:14 UTC 2011

> Is any one by now successfully dual-booting FreeBSD 9 with Linux?

> I have tried with OpenSuse 11.4 with FreeBSD 9. OpenSuse installs Grub1 to mbr. Grub1 doesn't seem to support FreeBSD 9. It cannot recognise the file system
+type.

> Any help in this regard is very much appreciated.

> Many thanks in advance.

> Unga

Not yet, but I intend to, once I get Linux built and installed, possibly starting with a cross-compile from FreeBSD 9.

On my older computer, i386 (32-bit), I dual-boot FreeBSD 8.2 and Linux (Slackware) using LILO, also FreeDOS on another hard disk, can even boot grub4dos and Plop (http://www.plop.at/) boot manager from LILO.

Can you use rootnoverify with grub1 (you must mean grub 0.97)?

You could also try grub2, which is in the ports under sysutils.

Is your hard disk partitioned MBR or GPT?

My hard disk is partitioned GPT, I still can't boot the hard disk directly, but using the System Rescue CD (http://sysresccd.org/), I go to the Super Grub Disk in the floppy images, hit c to get to command prompt, and

set root=(hd0,3)
kfreebsd /boot/loader
boot

You would use the actual FreeBSD partition which will probably be different from (hd0,3).

Tom