Fast personal printing _without_ CUPS

Randy Pratt bsd-unix at embarqmail.com
Sat Oct 29 03:36:24 UTC 2011

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 01:28:30 -0700
"Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:

> This isn't really a question.  It's more of a semi-rant, combined with some
> information that I wanted to put on the record (so that it can be googled)
> because it may benefit some folks, other than just me.
>
> I'm impatient by nature, and I don't like CUPS.  (I would say that I hate
> it, but I don't actually feel that strongly.)
>
> I have two personal workstations.  When I say "personal" I mean it.  I'm
> the only one who ever touches them.

I think I have over 50 ports depending on CUPS in one way or another..
but I've never configured or knowingly used CUPS.

The easiest way I've found for printing is ports/print/apsfilter.  It
seems to support a lot of printers and has a configuration script that
generates the /etc/printcap file.  There is a guide at

	http://www.freebsddiary.org/apsfilter.php

Take a look at http://www.apsfilter.org/ for detailed information.

Randy