SV: SV: Breakin attempt

Hasse Hansson fbsd at thorshammare.org
Wed Oct 26 20:02:28 UTC 2011

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org] På vegne af Peter N. M.
Hansteen
Sendt: den 26 oktober 2011 19:14
Til: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Emne: Re: SV: Breakin attempt

"Admin ValhallaProjectet" <admin at thorshammare.org> writes:

> Probably a bunch of bots. Not very intelligent used.

It's a recurring phenomenon, sometimes called the "hail mary cloud" (the
odds are overwhelmingly against such things ever succeeding, but they keep
trying anyway).

> Really messed up my logfiles. I was a bit curious if the purpose was
> just that, to mask some more clever real attacks, but haven't seen any
> signs of such.
> I changed my ssh port, just to reduce the noise, and it all ceased.

This round was over a lot quicker than the ealier ones, see eg
http://www.bsdly.net/~peter/hailmary/ and the inital blog post about the
phenomenon,
http://bsdly.blogspot.com/2008/12/low-intensity-distributed-bruteforce.html

- Peter