csup: How do I know I have correct version?

Thomas Mueller mueller6727 at bellsouth.net
Sun Oct 23 10:24:45 UTC 2011

from Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk>:

> Don't define PORTSSUPFILE in /etc/make.conf if you're using portsnap(1).
>  Apart from anything else, typing 'make update' in /usr/src will attempt
> to cvsup not just the system sources but as well any of PORTS, DOC where
> you've defined a ...SUPFILE.

> In fact, without PORTSUPFILE defined in /etc/make.conf typing 'make
> update' in /usr/ports will invoke portsnap for you, so long as you
> obtained the ports tree by 'portsnap fetch extract' originally.

>         Cheers,

>         Matthew

Now I know better how 'make update' works, though I looked at that target in /usr/src/Makefile.

I find from experience that updating ports by two different means makes a mess or at least doesn't work.

In 9.0-BETA1, I tried 'portsnap fetch update' some time after having installed the ports tree from the bsdinstall.

That didn't work, and I had to 'portsnap fetch' and 'portsnap extract' as if I had never installed the ports tree from the bsdinstall.

I guess then I can install the docs by 'csup /usr/share/examples/doc-supfile' ?

That would be simpler and easier than installing misc/freebsd-doc-en from the ports.

Tom