SV: Breakin attempt

Hasse Hansson fbsd at thorshammare.org
Sat Oct 22 15:11:00 UTC 2011

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org] På vegne af Polytropon
Sendt: den 22 oktober 2011 16:13
Til: Bruce Cran
Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Emne: Re: Breakin attempt

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 15:08:50 +0100, Bruce Cran wrote:
> I suspect that these sorts of attacks are fairly normal if you're
> running ssh on the standard port. I used to have lots of 'break-in
> attempts' before I moved the ssh server to a different port.

Is there _any_ reason why moving from port 22 to something
different is _not_ a solution?

Reason why I'm asking: Moving SSH away from its default port
seems to be a relatively good solution as break-in attempts
concentrate on default ports. So in case a sysadmin decides
to move SSH to a "hidden" location, what could be an argument
against this decision?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany

Thank you all Polytropon, Matthias, Bruce and Michael for your answers.
No, no reason at all to not change from port 22, and I will follow that
advice.
And my plan is to move away from password based ssh logins in the future.
I've been running this server for educational purposes for several years,
But this is first time I've had a "Break in attempt" going on for this long
time.

It don't bother me more than cluttering up my logfiles, but I got curious if
this
Attempt was originating from one person.

All the Best to you all
Hasse