csup: How do I know I have correct version?

Thomas Mueller mueller6727 at bellsouth.net
Sat Oct 22 09:22:26 UTC 2011

From: Damien Fleuriot <ml at my.gd>:

> > Maybe also I should put this releng9-supfile in a safer place where
> > it won't be deleted by the next installation/upgrade?

> Indeed you should.

> >>From my /etc/make.conf:
> SUP_UPDATE=     yes
> SUP=            /usr/bin/csup
> SUPFLAGS=       -zgL 2
> SUPHOST=        cvsup1.fr.freebsd.org
> SUPFILE=        /etc/cvsup/stable-supfile
> PORTSSUPFILE=   /etc/cvsup/ports-supfile
> DOCSUPFILE=     /etc/cvsup/doc-supfile

> Then, you just have to copy the sample supfiles to /etc/cvsup/

Then how do you update the system source, ports tree or doc?
Something with 'make'?  'make update' ?

For ports, I run
portsnap fetch update

For system source, I run
csup /usr/share/examples/releng9-supfile

though I subsequently moved the releng9-supfile to /myconfig .

from Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk>:

> The file you want is /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh  This is a script that
> edits version information into various source code files.  The bit you
> need is near the top of the file -- just following line 33:

>     33  TYPE="FreeBSD"
>     34  REVISION="9.0"
>     35  BRANCH="RC1"
>     36  if [ "X${BRANCH_OVERRIDE}" != "X" ]; then
>     37          BRANCH=${BRANCH_OVERRIDE}
>     38  fi
>     39  RELEASE="${REVISION}-${BRANCH}"
>     40  VERSION="${TYPE} ${RELEASE}"
>     41  SYSDIR=$(dirname $0)/..

> Unfortunately the value want is RELEASE, which is assembled from parts,
> so not trivially grep'able.  But you can easily see the REVISION is set
> to 9.0 and BRANCH is RC1 so the whole things comes to 9.0-RC1.  Simple.

That's the file I was looking for, I was not familiar with that particular file name.

It's easy to find a needle in the haystack when somebody points it out to me!  My thanks!

> > Maybe also I should put this releng9-supfile in a safer place where
> > it won't be deleted by the next installation/upgrade?

> No -- you shouldn't need to worry about that.  The name
> 'releng9-supfile' you chose doesn't match anything produced by the
> system, so it won't be overwritten.  (Not that you shouldn't keep a
> backup somewhere -- that's only sensible.)

> Hmmm.... actually you have highlighted a small omission in the
> procedures for branching RELENG_9 and RELENG_9_0 -- the cvsup example
> supfiles  /usr/src/share/examples/{stable,standard}-supfile should be
> updated to match the branch they are installed from.  In your case both
> of those files should use the RELENG_9 tag, but that hasn't been
> commmitted yet.

>         Cheers

>         Matthew

Good point.  I had to make the little modification in the stable-supfile to accommodate RELENG_9 .

Since my current efforts are directed toward a working FreeBSD 9.0 system, I am not currently doing anything with 10-current.

Tom