[zfs-discuss] ZFS on Dell with FreeBSD

Koopmann, Jan-Peter jan-peter at koopmann.eu
Thu Oct 20 20:40:35 UTC 2011

> On the Dell website I've the choice between :
>

>    SAS 6Gbps External Controller
>    PERC H800 RAID Adapter for External JBOD, 512MB Cache, PCIe
>    PERC H800 RAID Adapter for External JBOD, 512MB NV Cache, PCIe
>    PERC H800 RAID Adapter for External JBOD, 1GB NV Cache, PCIe
>    PERC 6/E SAS RAID Controller, 2x4 Connectors, External, PCIe 256MB Cache
>    PERC 6/E SAS RAID Controller, 2x4 Connectors, External, PCIe 512MB Cache
>    LSI2032 SCSI Internal PCIe Controller Card

The first one probably is a LSI card. However check with DELL (and if it is LSI, check what card exactly). And check if with that controller they support seeing all individual drives in the chassis as JBOD.

Otherwise consider buying the chassis without the controller and get just the LSI from someone else.

Regards,
  JP