multi-boot (fixed)

doug doug at fledge.watson.org
Wed Oct 19 20:19:22 UTC 2011

> On Wed, 19 Oct 2011, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
>> doug at safeport.com writes:

>>> Pre 8.2 the behavior the selected system just boot without the extra
>>> message. I had a 7.0 and a 7.4 system installed. I replaced the 7.4
>>> system with 8,2 With the boot setup I understand the FreeBSD boot
>>> manager would be on sector 0 track 0 of disk 1. The boot record for
>>> disk 1 is in the first logical sector for the drive. The boot record
>>> for disk 2 should be similarly placed on disk 2.
>>>
>>> What I think is missing is putting the boot manager on disk 2. If that
>>> is the case, is there a way to do that without reinstalling?
>>
>> boot0cfg(8) from the system that does boot.
>> Or boot in "rescue" mode from a CD (or other removable media)
>> and use sysinstall.
>
> thanks

This is a classic cast (I think) of RTFM. Thanks for hanging in with me. The
correct answer is install the standard boot record on disk 2. I think I can
interpert the handbook that way. I did this with sysinstall as my second attempt
at boot0cfg seriously broke the system on disk 2. boot0cfg is left to me as
homework. This is a case where I may be able to get from the code what I could
not from the man page.

I do not know if part of the different is the BIOS has raid0 build in which
almost works. I just turned this off giving me two test systems.