How To Fix "Use of assignment to $[ is deprecated"

johan Hendriks joh.hendriks at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 08:05:47 UTC 2011

Op 16-10-11 05:09, Drew Tomlinson schreef:
> Somehow while trying to upgrade my ports, I got things out of whack.
> The final straw was that perl got upgraded from 5.8.9 to 5.12.4.  I've
> read the notes in UPDATING but they are not helping my situation.
> Finally, I just decided that a "portupgrade -af" would be in my best
> interest.  However now portupgrade complains that "Makefile possibly
> broken" and then give this more relevant error:
>
> Use of assignment to $[ is deprecated at /usr/local/sbin/apxs line 86.
>
> This seems to be the case for just about any port I try and fix.  I
> think this file is part of apache22 so I attempted to rebuild it.  It
> compiles fine but fails on the install portion with this output:
>
> --->  Installing the new version via the port
> ===>  Installing for apache-2.2.21
> ===>   apache-2.2.21 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/perl5.12.4 - found
> ===>   apache-2.2.21 depends on shared library: expat.6 - found
> ===>   apache-2.2.21 depends on shared library: apr-1 - found
> ===>   apache-2.2.21 depends on shared library: pcre.0 - found
> ===>   apache-2.2.21 depends on shared library: iconv.3 - found
> ===>   Generating temporary packing list
> Making install in srclib
> Making install in os
> Making install in unix
> Making install in server
> Making install in mpm
> Making install in prefork
> find: /usr/local/include/apr-1/apr.h: No such file or directory
>
> And then includes "No such file or directory" for 2-3 screens of files.
>
> How can I fix my system?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Drew

I have had this on some systems also.

Deinstall apache22 and your apr program.
pkg_delete apache22 and pkg_delete apr-your-version.

Then install apache22 again.
cd /usr/local/www/apache22
make install clean

It should install your apache22 and the corensponding and working apr
version.

regards
Johan Hendriks