FBSD82 sec patch -p4, uname still -p3

n dhert ndhertbsd at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 11:33:56 UTC 2011

I believe the reason is the following:
The changes were to /boot/GENERIC/linux.ko and
/boot/GENERIC/linux.ko.symbols
and NOT to the *freebsd* kernel   /boot/GENERIC/kernel  ...
So,the freebsd kernel didn't change, uname -a gets its info from the linux
kernel (not directly from the
/usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh  file), this is unchanged, hence it still
reports -p3

On another system where I have a custom kernel (QUOTA support), as always, I
did a makebuild from sources
(although stricktly spreaking it in *this* case it was not necessary), did a
makeinstall, rebooted, and there uname -a is -p4,
which makes sense, since rebuilding the kernel from source files wrote the
information contained in /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh into the kernel
binary, from which uname -a extracts the patch version ..